20% of the sale will be, donated to Drag The Red.
Drag The Red is an organization located in Winnipeg, Manitoba. That searches the Red River for MMIWG2.
When I was asked to create an image for an MMIWG piece of art, a couple of things ran through my mind.
First, the heaviness of the topic.
Second, how the mystery of these occurrences can take your breath away.
How do we create hope?
What do you think of when you smudge?
I think of all the ancestors and what their dreams may have been.
The weight of their actions is what kept us alive as a people, and the mystery of their absence is what keeps us hopeful.
When we smudge, we continue the lived experience of an activity that has been done for centuries.
We experience the past, present, and future.
It is an access point for us to participate in a shared moment.
I wanted to create a visual that would communicate what I imagined when I would smudge with my students while I worked at Niji Mahkwa School.
No school is an easy place to work, and this school is no exception.
Maintaining a balance of positivity in one’s own mind/classroom can be a battle, so I drew from a place that I hoped for and visited in my mind during those morning smudges.
We were part of a community that was experiencing loss, and smudging was a way to honor our loved ones.
I encourage anyone to share their gifts in any way they can to end violence, and will leave you with the words of Ryan Redcorn in his poem To the Indigenous Woman,
“Tell me you have daughters
Tell me you don't want this for them
Tell me you won't joke about this with your friends
Tell me you won't forget we talked
Tell me you will do something"
Designed by Kale Bonham
No design just casual.
Authentic, Empowering, and Comfortable.
- This premium quality hoodie is super soft to the touch and loose-fitting making it comfortably cozy.
- It's stylish enough for the club-goer and great for a casual visit to a ceremony or the gym.
- Our personal favourite place to visit is the couch though, we love lounging around with the fam jam.
- The hoodie is made up of a mix of cotton and polyester fibres, a kangaroo hand pocket, rib on cuffs and waistband, and a two-ply hood with drawcords.
- 70% SoftLume combed and ring-spun cotton,
- 30% polyester fleece - with 100% SoftLume combed and ring-spun cotton-face
- 32 single
- 8.25 oz